Monday, March 01, 2010

Story Telling: Unconditional Love & Care

Characters in love novels and movies are always talking about unconditional love. And their love is like a fairy tale. All lovely and pure. Tell me where to find love like that.

Let me tell a version of love and care. That is unconditional.

A 5o year old man was lying on the hospital bed, drowsy from the medication. An equally old lady was leaning over the bed, she herself recovering from cancer. Her head was drooping from tireness, her hands resting on the sides of the bed. But once the man stirred, the lady was wide-awake, her eyes bright with alertness, her smile warm. And the man, was reassuring the lady that he was perfectly fine and though pain was apparently clear on his face during his drowsy sleep. And the lady, knowing all these, just smile warmly, leaned over and held his hand. No words passed through them, but the silence was enough.

It made me look away as the feelings between them were just beyond whatever I had experienced. Life was never good. Quarrels were aplenty, problems creased the foreheads many a nights. But even with the inabililty to settle the upcoming bills, in that moment, to learn that each other is fine, the love between them was overwhelming.

Another story on unconditional care/love.
My dad was just discharged from the hospital, and my mum and I were fetching him home. Suddenly, my groggy Dad just pointed at my shoes and shouted, "Why are you wearing those shoes! They pinch your feet and they are spoilt! Come, let's go and help you get some running shoes."

I cried when I got home. I was so touched.

But the shoes were sold out.


_

No comments: